About Me

My photo
Winter Garden, FL, United States
I am a follower of Jesus Christ and an artist. I am a sixth generation Floridian. I love my family and friends, and most definitely the children and youth that I get to work with every week.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Struggles with Inspiration

Way back in December, I asked my friend Monica if she wanted any kind of artwork from me.
Funnily enough, she said YES. . .I was actually kind of surprised. Usually when I ask people that, they say uh. . .yeah sure.  .what are you going to paint/make for me. However, Mon had something specific in mind.

What she wanted was paintings of a wine bottle and a martini glass to hang in the kitchen of her apartment.
Her only requests were that the background be sort of modern looking.

Geez. . .way to take the fun out of it for me. If there is one thing I'm not, it's a modern artist. I have extreme difficulty with painting clean and straight, which is at least one aspect of modernism.  Now, post-modern, that I can do. I'm all about messy painting. In fact, I don't feel like I've truly made an artwork unless I end up with some of the medium staining my hands.

 

But, this was Monica asking. I had to attempt to create what she wanted. If in part, because she spent a great deal of money acquiring my "Nightmare Before Christmas" hand painted Toms for my Christmas gift!

 

So, I started out with two canvases. I decided to try angled lines, much like can be seen in this Martini Glass painting I found online.

 

Ugh. . .I do like this piece, but WHY, WHY would I torture myself with something so NON-JAMIE? 
I couldn't paint this unless I had a final examination grade hanging over my head. I haven't had that kind of perfectionist pressure for about six years now, so I don't know why I was deluding myself into thinking that I could pull off something this tediously clean.

I persevered, though. Covered both of those canvases with diagonal, multi-colored lines, none of which were perfectly straight.
Then they sat. . . .and sat. . .and sat.
They tortured me.
The artist Jamie personality was refusing to go anywhere near them unless I did something to change the plan into something that was more "Me".

I let the problem simmer in the back of my mind for four months. Eventually something came through.
What if I covered the lines with one of my squiggles? I'd done several of these pieces back in college, they'd even managed to get displayed in an end of the year Fine Art Student Showing at UCF.  I could then put the wine bottle and martini glass on top of that pattern.

Nuts, right? If anything, I'd have to purchase new canvases in the event that it ended up being a disaster.

 

 As you can see, I drew the squiggle on top of the lines first with a yellow colored pencil. Then, I began the mind bendingly boring part of painting every-other shape white. Actually, I love doing things like this. Especially when I have a good book to read/listen to, which I did. Checked out the Dean Koontz audio book "Lightning" from the library.  Exhilarating!

However, I got both canvases painted with their white shapes and thought "I'll never be able to get the martini glass and wine bottle to pop on top of all that noise". So, I had to let the canvases sit AGAIN.

 

Neat huh? If it had bee a painting for me, I'd have left it like that. But, had to keep on keeping on.

I had the idea of toning down the white with a darker color, maybe a simple wash over the top. Something told me to keep thinking about it. Why I thought to purchase metallic blue and lavender paints, I'll never know. 

Here's what they looked like when I tried them on the white pattern.

Now that I had the base of the painting done, I now had the task of creating the wine bottle and martini glass. I had already made the decision that both would be made out of foam core and would be glued on top of the canvas.

Sorry, the pic is blurry, taken with my phone camera.


I cut them out before painting, because the paint can be scratched by the exacto blade. Here's the wine bottle painting in progress. I employed the technique of under-painting for both the bottle and the glass. That's part of what I love about acrylic paints. You get the thickness and richness of oil paints, but can still employ the wonder of transparent washes like watercolor.


Also I wanted to trace the shape of each onto the canvas. In order to make each pop even more, I had decided to paint a pure black "shadow" underneath them. Here's the finished wine bottle painting.



And the finished martini glass. . .


And the two together. . .

 


No comments:

Post a Comment