About Me

My photo
Winter Garden, FL, United States
I am a follower of Jesus Christ and an artist. I am a sixth generation Floridian. I love my family and friends, and most definitely the children and youth that I get to work with every week.

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Oakland Nature Preserve

Yesterday was one of those "it's so beautiful you can't stay inside" kind of days. So. . .mom and I got ourselves a lunch from Subway and made our way to Oakland Nature Preserve. 
 Here's some pics I took along our trip down the boardwalk through the wetlands. 
 
There's a bird feeder area before you get to the boardwalk, and this is where the Painted Buntings and Cardinals like to hang out. It's almost a guarantee during the winter months to be able to spot something interesting here.
 
Mom taught me a long time ago how to make the "psh psh shhh" noise that always seems to intrigue birds. Little guys like this warbler/vireo fly in closer to get a look to see what type of bird is making the noise.
 
The Maple Trees have been all confused this winter, so in the midst of dropping their fall leaves they're now blooming and dropping their seed winglets as well.
Little Carolina Anoles could be seen along the boardwalk peeping over the rails or hanging out on the fencing.
 
Mom's wheelchair includes the "tilt" feature which allows her to lean back and relieve pressure. We've sort of started a new tradition of taking "tilting" pictures in different locations. 
 These shots come from down at the lake pavilion. 
The park is located on the wetland and shore area 
of Lake Apopka. 


We were on our way back to the van when I heard this Red Tail Hawk screaming in annoyance. 
Watching as he took off from his perch I realized that he/she was annoyed by the Bald Eagle that was sitting in a nearby tree. As I began taking pictures of said Eagle, some people walked down the boardwalk. 
I pointed out the Eagle and the fact that the hawk was trying to scare off the larger bird. That was when they informed me that the Eagle was very likely the same bird that they had just released in the parking lot. And. . .the guy I was actually talking to turned out to be the director of the Florida Audubon Society. Pretty cool. 
Especially since neither him nor the lady who was with him managed to capture a photo of the bird. So, I emailed them mine. Anyways, here's the article on the Eagle. She was injured back in October, and became the 439th bird to be rehabilitated and released by the 


2 comments:

  1. These are awesome! We might go to the Charles Towne Landing this weekend. It's an old plantation here in town and they've turned it into a state park. Animals, history, room to run...that is if the weather is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the weather is good for you. . .I was just wondering if there was a place you could take the girls near your house that encouraged nature exploration!

    ReplyDelete