About Me

My photo
Winter Garden, FL, United States
I am a follower of Jesus Christ and an artist. I am a sixth generation Floridian. I love my family and friends, and most definitely the children and youth that I get to work with every week.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Painting projects


My palette
I’ve mentioned at least once that I’ve been working on a project for a friend. I’ve actually been working on two projects, both of them paintings. One is for my neighbor down the road, Carol, whom I dog-sit for. The other is for two of my best friends, Danny and Richard.


The first project came about because I found a couple of choice pieces of slate at the thrift store about a month ago. They were already prepped for hanging, with holes drilled and a leather thong strung through. The only problem was that they were already painted on. In fact I probably wouldn’t have even noticed them if it wasn’t for the fact that they were painted. I was digging through the shelves of junk when I came across these truly awful flamingo and palm tree things! Yeesh. They were that bad. Of course, in noticing just how bad they were it came to me that with a little sanding I could paint right over the top of those horrendous images.

Now, I am over exaggerating a bit. Somebody loved them enough to buy them from Pier One Imports and pay $25 a piece for them. I’m not kidding, that’s what it said on the price tag that was on the back.

However, I felt like they truly weren’t worth much more than the $3 price that the thrift store was asking for them. The greatest part of this is that my mom is a haggling genius and managed to get the store to sell them to us for $2 a piece. AWESOMENESS! 
 
 


Anyways, I took them home, sanded them down, and began my first painting for Carol. I decided to do a Screech Owl for her. We have a visiting Screech Owl who nests at my parents house and hunts at Carol’s house.



The second project for Danny and Richard was something I have been wanting to do for about a year. They love Beagles, and had three up until last March-Copper, Skipper, and Buddy. Buddy was their most recently adopted dog, and also the youngest and largest of the three. I felt pretty close to Buddy because I helped name him. He was this tall, lanky dog with the most solemn face. Because he was the newest member of the Beagle clan, he was also the lowest on the totem pole. So his demeanor always seemed a little cowed by the other two. I just loved him.

Well, I’m sure you’ve noticed that I’ve been using the past tense in reference to Buddy. He got hit by a truck back in March of 2011, and Richard saw it happen. It was awful. They had just come back from a fishing trip and were trying to put the dogs back inside the house, when Buddy got loose and ran down to the street with Richard chasing after him. The truck driver didn’t stop. Danny drove his truck down to where Richard sat on the side of the road holding Buddy in his arms. Even though they rushed him to the vet, praying over him the whole time, Buddy didn’t make it.

Now you know the back story behind why I wanted to do this project for Danny and Richard. 

Sketch
 Buddy is buried in their back yard, but currently has no marker.  I have just recently begun painting on sidewalk stones as a possible means of side income. So I had a large concrete brick that was perfect for my idea. I asked Richard for some pictures of Buddy and used them to sketch out my design. 



Under colors 1 and 2


It’s almost done. I just need to add his name in the corner and then polyurethane it for added protection. 
Finished colors

The finished stone

I know you’re having fun in heaven, Buddy, chasing all those possums and raccoons!

 Love you and miss you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment